The Police Technology Division is responsible for developing and implementing modern technologies to aid in law enforcement, including researching and testing modern technologies, and training officers on using them. Some of the technologies that have been developed and supported by this division include security cameras, gunshot detection systems, automated license plate readers, body cameras, drones, and numerous databases to prevent, respond and investigate crimes.
Physical security is an integral part of preventing crime on campus. In law enforcement, “physical security” refers to the physical measures designed to safeguard personnel, prevent unauthorized access to Georgia Tech facilities, and help protect Georgia Tech against theft and vandalism. Physical measures include lighting, landscaping, access to GT-affiliated buildings, and security camera placement.
The GTPD Physical Security Office provides a host of services for the campus, including
- Security assessments and recommendations of existing campus facilities such as Greek housing, academic or administrative buildings, sport/special event venues, etc.
- Security evaluation of new building construction drawings and renovation plans
- Analysis of camera placement, installation of new cameras, repair and maintenance of existing cameras, and the integration of disparate video systems into the GTPD platform
- Installation of intrusion and panic alarms
- Installation of emergency phones
- Analysis, upgrading, and maintenance of existing security systems
For questions, or to arrange for a security assessment, please contact Captain Richard McNevin at email@example.com
Unless there is an emergency, please contact the following resources if you are locked out:
Locked out of a residence hall? The satellite housing offices are open from Monday-Friday, 8am to 8pm. For after-hours access, contact your Resident Advisor (RA) or Peer Leader (PL). You can also email the Department of Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find a specific contact at https://housing.gatech.edu/housing-options
Locked out of an academic or administrative building? The BuzzCard Center is your resource for all changes to physical access controls with BuzzCard readers. Contact the facilities manager for the building you would like to access.
Locked out of a parking area? Contact Parking & Transportation at 404-385-PARK (7275).