Registration for the Fall 2021 session is now open!
The Citizen’s Police Academy is a five-week program designed to educate and inform citizens about issues that face campus law enforcement efforts at Georgia Tech and how the department operates.
The goal of the Citizen’s Police Academy is not only to help community members better understand police work in their community, but to also develop stronger ties between the department and the community. Community Based Policing is a vital aspect of crime control in any community. It is through community cooperation and planning that we can best ensure quality police services in an organized effective crime prevention effort. The Citizens’ Police Academy is designed to inform the community of what we do, improve communication, and obtain citizen input, assistance, and support on campus.
The Citizen’s Police Academy program will be offered twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall, to all members of the Georgia Tech community. All instructors are Georgia Tech Police Department employees.
FALL 2021 SCHEDULE
All classes are from 5:30pm-7:30pm, held at GTPD.* Dates may be subject to change.
- Thurs, 10/21 – Welcome and Introduction to GTPD
- Tues, 10/26 – Patrol Division, Jeanne Clery Act
- Thurs, 10/28 - Law Enforcement Technology
- Tues, 11/02 - Forensics
- Thurs, 11/04 - Investigations
- Tues, 11/09 - Special Events and K9
- Thurs, 11/11 - Emergency Management & Communications
- Tues, 11/16 – Use of Force and Judgmental Simulator
- Thurs, 11/18 - Firearms* (time adjusted according to range availability)
- Tues, 11/23 – Admin Division, Crime Prevention, CORE, Social Media, and Graduation
Classes are free of charge, but involve a commitment to attend all sessions. Please carefully review the schedule to ensure you can commit to the times and dates of the sessions.
Class size is limited. To participate in the program, you must complete and submit the online application. A limited background investigation will be conducted on all applicants.
Coordinator: Sergeant Jessica Howard
Office: (404) 894-2500
Office Hours: 8am to 4pm